Thursday, March 31, 2011

Training and ILB

Whew! What a day! I'm very exhausted and unfortunately still have some things to take care of this evening. I am surprised to think that there are 2 days left before I fly back to San Diego on Sunday.


Today we went to the COTN office in Barahona and spent the morning training the staff in Strength Finders and Displayed Thinking- two really cool things that are amazing for teams! We were supposed to have another training this afternoon but through a series of miscommunication we couldn't do that. So instead the rest of my team went to the market while I stayed behind to brainstorm with the I Love Baseball department.


It was great to be a part of this process with I Love Baseball! It really was a great opportunity for me to share the vision and the hearts of these people. I heard about a boy who traded his machete he used to fight people with for some cleats and a baseball glove. After our brainstorming I was able to go with the directors of I Love Baseball to the mayor's office and meet with the mayor about some land in the area to be used for the first COTN high school and 2 baseball fields. I also was able to talk to the USA coordinator for I Love Baseball and got some great ideas to sponsor 55-60 kids for this program and get a consistent 500 baseballs donated each year. Here is a link for an AMAZING 12 minute video that I HIGHLY encourage you to watch :) I LOVE BASEBALL video


The rest of my team was at the market buying food so that we can make an american meal for about 50 people tomorrow. We are blessed to treat the staff to a waterfall here in the Dominican that cost about 100 pesos a person, roughly about $3. This is too expensive for them to come and they were going to send us and stay here. Our team decided that isn't okay, and we are bringing all the staff to join us and treating them to a meal that we prepare for a change. I am so excited to be part of an opportunity to bless them and thank them for awesome hospitality. 


I have had an amazing week. I have fallen in love here. For these people and this culture. I am so blessed. So thankful. 


Join me in prayer for the Dominican staff that they would continue to spread their passion to others and that they would be blessed for their kindness and love for us. As well as continued prayer for the I Love Baseball program as they will continue to meet with the mayor in the hopes of getting donated land. And finally for the idea of creating a program for the girls here in Barahona who get pregnant so young and drop out of school, coupling with a way to encourage these young girls to not get pregnant. 


Thank you for your prayers and your time. I am honored to share all of this with you!


"So you are no longer a slave, but God’s child; and since you are his child, God has made you also an heir." Galatians 4:7

1 comment:

  1. I've looked forward to reading this blog every day; don't know how I'll go a week before reading the next entry! I'm excited to see how Vicky's life unfolds from here - I believe it will be absolutely amazing. God is good!

    ReplyDelete