Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Altagracia

It is amazing to me how I find myself thinking about how much I truly love this country, these people. I am in awe at the way love abounds here. These children are so sweet and though they have nothing they look at me with a smile that reaches their eyes. 


Today we went to the final Batey here in the Dominican Republic, Altagracia. Once again, we were swarmed with children upon arrival. This time was a bit different for me. I had a little boy come up to me and I held him for a long time. I did not learn his name as he wouldn't speak to me or anyone and the teachers were all busy. But he held my neck and just cuddled. He was so precious, snotty nose and everything. After a while he got down and hid from me. I don't know why but every time I went to him he hid somewhere else. This wasn't like a hide-and-seek thing either. All I wanted was to hold him again and talk to him and love on him. Eventually he came to me and I was filled with joy; I was so happy! I have spent sometime reflecting on this and I think about how often we act like this boy to our Father. He holds us and loves us through our dirtiness and snotty noses. We so often hide from him for one reason or another and all he wants is to be with us. This boy, who I hope to meet again, has reminded me of the Lord's love for my heart and his desire for relationship with me.


We walked around the community of Altagracia today and it seemed to me to be the poorest I've seen so far, although our translator, Juanchi, just wold me this was incorrect. My eyes took in the "kitchens" that were really a fire out front with a pot over it. Most of the children were not clothed. They walked with us around with no shoes on and they giggled as we swung them from our arms over the muddy parts of the "road". Such sweet, precious children these were. This was the first time when we left we had to pry children off of us. They just wanted to play and spend time with Americanas. I love that my presence here means so much to them and they know we love them. 


We spent some time with the I Love Baseball program. Baseball is a huge sport here and many boys want to be professional baseball players. So this programs allows them to pursue baseball while also staying in school and learning about Christ. If they quit school they are kicked out of the I Love Baseball program. It's a huge deal for many boys to stay in school and have an education to fall back on if they don't make it as a pro ball player. They don't abandon their life with this program here. I learned that a cheap baseball here is about $14. This may not seem like a big deal but I'm gonna do what I can to ship a case of baseballs over. 


We will spend the afternoon doing staff planning, as our trip has changed from not going into Haiti. We are going to plan out a couple training days for the staff here in the DR, painting one of the buildings that acts as the school in Altagracia, and a way we can bless the staff here at the Casa and thank them for all the hard work they do. We have been treated beautifully here- they clean our room each day, did some laundry for us, fed us GOOD food (not just beans and rice). I am so blessed to be here.


How you can pray: I am trying to find words.... I can't, pray as God leads you. 


Once again, I thank you with all of my heart in sharing this experience with me. 
May the Lord bless you!!







The lighting isn't great, but this is Karen and Katarina :)

1 comment: